Monday, January 1, 2007

Slumdog Millionaire


Slumdog Millionaire
Directors: Danny Boyle, Loveleen Tandan
Starring: Dev Patel, Freida Pinto, Irrfan Khan

Jamal is a young man who loves Latika and always has. The movie starts with Jamal being interrogated at a police station because he has been winning on an Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire (or as the host says, which I love and just can't get out of my brain, "Who wants to be a milinair?") and they suspect him of fraud because how could some kid from the slums be able to answer the questions? The movie unfolds as he explains, in flashbacks to his childhood, how he knew each answer. He is on the show to begin with because he knows Latika watches it and he hopes she will see him and they will be reunited (not that they were ever really together).

I saw this movie today (February 22, 2009) with Edith at the full-price theatre, and I have to give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. It is a feel-good movie, though it is gritty and Jamal's past is not a pretty one. I was reminded of Romeo and Juliet in that Jamal is idealistic and romantic and Latika is realistic and pragmatic, but I won't tell you if the ending is the same or not. I loved the soundtrack and the nifty tribute to Bollywood musicals during the end credits. Dev Patel really shines and is so adorable you just want to give him a big hug. This is a movie I would go to see again in the theatre.

First seen: February 22, 2009

No comments: