Monday, February 18, 2008

Burnin a Hole in My Carpet

So I got my tax refund and I really want to use a good portion of it to replace the carpeting in my living room, foyer, stairs, and upstairs hall. The current carpet is what I call Pepto-Bismol pink, though people assure me it's not that bad. I suspect it is from the 1980s, which seems to be the era in which most of the existing decor was completed. This is a picture of Logan on the stairs, displaying the lovely pink carpet.

What I would like to replace it with is a nice looped Berber in a kind of fawn color, something very neutral that hides dirt and dog hair. :) I haven't measured yet, but I did price some carpeting at Lowe's. If I installed it myself I know I could afford it, but I don't want to install it myself! Lowe's will do it for $200, which includes moving furniture, pulling up old carpet and putting new carpet on existing tack strip. It's extra to do stairs, though, and I'm not sure how much extra. I haven't asked that or if I could get a price break if I pull it up before they get there.

I want to look around before I make a final decision and see if I can get good carpeting anyplace else for less money, but none of the local places have websites so it's a matter of hoofing it from store to store. Does anyone know of a good place to go to get carpeting at a good price and not get ripped off?

1 comment:

Steve said...

Talk to Condra. Her husband, Richard, does installation. He may be able to get you stuff "at cost." He put in carpet and flooring for me at our old house.