Thursday, February 17, 2011

Annoying Songs

I heard this song on the radio this morning and it started to annoy me. First of all, I dislike it because the local stations always put in their own words in the part where the radio announcer comes on and for some reason that drives me nuts. Second of all, what does it all mean?


Say you don't know me, or recognize my face
Say you don't care who goes to that kind of place
Knee deep in the hoopla, sinking in your fight
Too many runaways eating up the night


Wha? Are those lines related to one another at all? What kind of place? How do you sink in your fight? And exactly what does hoopla smell like?

Someone always playing corporation games
Who cares they're always changing corporation names
We just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
They call us irresponsible, write us off the page


Did the corporations steal the stage? Is that why we're called irresponsible?

It's just another Sunday, in a tired old street
Police have got the choke hold, ohhhhh and we just lost the beat


I don't get it! Is this hippie nonsense? Too many drugs back in their heyday?

Then repeat this about a hundred times:
We built this city, we built this city on rock and roll

What does it all mean? Is it just me? What song lyrics make no sense to you?

I'll have another annoying song to discuss in a few days. :)

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Please see this link http://www.suite101.com/content/starships-we-built-this-city-lyrics-and-meaning-a263236


I think it may be the group’s way of communicating how the music industry has become commercialized to the point it isn't about the art of making music but making profits. This by itself hinders the ability for many musicians to succeed. The Internet is changing all that now. Giving independent artists, as well established artists, a medium to express them and demonstrate their talents.

I didn't get the lyrics until I visited the above link.

SidneyKay said...

Well, you know someone left the cake out in the rain