Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's Up with Bridget's Mom?

Certainly not what you think. This is a marvelous book that was received for the YA room at the branch where I work. At first, I hated it. I tried to pawn it off on our children's librarian, but she wanted nothing to do with it. We are going to send it to the Main Library, and as the time comes for it to leave, I am becoming very attached to it.

What's Up with Bridget's Mom is a comic about breast cancer. Seriously.

The art work is terrible. The plot? I'll let you decide. The superhero team needs to get inside Bridget's mom's breast to see what's going on, so they go in through a milk duct and are swept away on waves of milk and surrounded by miniature cows, some of whom are wearing leather jackets and eyepatches. Yes. It is just that brilliant.

I am including some pages lest you think I am making this up.

The cover:


My favorite pages... The heroes have made it to the top of the breast. They try to peek inside. How will we get in? Through the milk ducts!


First panel: Splash! There go the heroes, swirling on waves of milk! Note the mini cows at the bottom of the picture.


I only wish I could blow these up for you so you could experience the full joy.

No comments: