Sunday, January 1, 2006

Dark Knight


Dark Knight
Director: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman

Batman fights the Joker and other bad guys.

I saw this twice in the theatre. The first time was at the drive-in, so the sound was not, shall we say, optimal. But I would have seen it a second time anyway because it's a really good film. Very dark, lots of themes and undercurrents, terrific acting (and I don't just mean the deceased Heath Ledger, whose performance will not be fairly judged until a few more years have passed, though I do think he did a fine job and had some crackling good moments).

Bravo to Aaron Eckhart, who first came to my attention as one of the creepy guys in In the Company of Men (a fantastic film, if you've never seen it - written and first performed in Fort Wayne as a play at IPFW when I was a student there and too stupid to go see it live). Bravo to Maggie Gyllenhaal, who turned a blah written role into an interesting character. And of course I love Christian Bale, dark and moody and reluctant.

Thumbs up. Great action, wonderful darkness, very driven and bitter.


First seen: July 2008
Second seen: August 2008

No comments: