Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Brilliant Idea #12 - patio

I had toyed with the idea of paving the entire back yard because the dog running through the grass tore up the turf, his pee killed the grass in spots, and running along the fence made a mud trough in the spring. Plus, I wouldn't have to mow the grass and it would be easier to clean up after the pooch.

However, I didn't have the money to buy enough slate or brick or concrete to pave the entire yard, so I was coaxed by a couple people to put in a small patio instead, to create a sitting area and better place for my copper fire pit.

I posted to Freecycle and ended up getting from a fellow employee a bunch of bricks for free. Then with tax refund money I bought sand, wood, and plywood. Dad became very enthused about the project and one Sunday after lunch he started laying out bricks (despite protests from Mom and I). This turned out to be one of the easiest ideas I ever came up with because Dad ended up doing all the work! :) He built the frame, leveled the yard, placed the plywood, and after he and I agreed on a brick pattern he placed most of the bricks. I did get a few in, though! Then I poured the sand on top and he and I swept the sand into the cracks and had interesting conversations about art and Zen. It was very nice!

Then I put out the benches he and Mom had gotten me for Christmas, put out the copper torchieres I had purchased a couple of years previously, the glow-in-the-dark orb Charlene got me for Christmas, my current plastic chairs and my copper fire pit. It's a great place to relax!

















UPDATE: June 2009

I had Dad put a border around the patio last summer and I planted creeping thyme. I didn't know if it would make it through the winter or not but it did and is now thriving! Check it out!



No comments: